Monday, November 3, 2008

PRESIDENT MUMIA ABU JAMAL

Back in the 20th century I was crossing the Denniston Ford bridge, on my way up the hill to my shack, when I heard a man on the radio speaking the truth. Because he was articulating some very perceptive and complex thoughts on politics in America I took note, and turned up the volume. I had never heard this man before. I sat in my driveway, the car running, listening to this voice. I said to myself- Now here's a man that should be President. When he ended, another voice came on and told me who the voice was. Live from death row- Mumia Abu Jamal.
On this election eve, I reset my deer stand to a spot just behind where Elijah's trailer used to sit. I didn't see anything tonight but I have high hopes for the morning. There's a couple of apple trees and a few fresh scapes. The bucks are heating up. But I digress. We were talking politics. We are poised to elect the first Black President of the United States. If we don't we're all fucked. But if we do, where are we? Barack Obama is no Mumia Jamal, but he's all we have at this point. This man is articulate, empathetic, astute, and politically a pure genius. But.....
Millions of dollars have been spent to elect this man. Barrack Hussain Obama is a Christian accused of being a Moslem. Has he made any effort to embrace his Moslem brothers? No. Against the war in Iraq, Obama plans to escalate the war in Afghanistan. Does he have an exit strategy for Afghanistan? No. Has Obama taken any of these millions of dollars and given them to Haiti or Congo, or Dafur, or any other country, cause or issue, black, white or otherwise? No. Will President Obama pardon Mumia Abu Jamal? Who knows. Pray for Obama.

No comments: