Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"GET ME A SAW."

Having a blog about hunting and supermodels can sometimes be a difficult thing to keep current. For one thing my interaction with supermodels has dwindled to the degree that I may have to change the title to NOHUNTINGWITHSUPERMODELS. Add to that the fact that the only animal in season is the coyote, and I'm just not up to it anymore. It's too cold and they're way too wiley. So what does that leave? Work, art, beer, pot and TV. Shewho's off to Spain. Did I mention it's cold? So work is cold. WSSP is not yet insulated or heated. Still, every day I get up and go out there, wrap my belly with barbed wire, sprinkle gravel in my boots, put on the carhart hair shirt, turn on the radio, insulate and frame. Art? My songs are boring, as is the new collage. Just a bad spot before I change into something else. Beer? That's going well. Harps is my favorite. I have a good pot connection. And no, I won't give it to you. TV? Now, that I can talk about.
Last year, when I was geting my neck worked on I got into a 2pm routine. After going to the Dr. in the morning, I would chill in the afternoon and watch old episodes of 24. I saw the whole show. I was hooked. Every afternoon I was a little further into Jack's twisted day. Jack is basically our last line of defense. And, as of Sunday night, Jack is back.
I know the real government spooks watch the show, and I think that's a bad thing. These guys take it seriously and look at Jack as Hollywood's green light for torture. I do not approve. I can see these guys sitting around a laptop in Islamabad, watching 24 and then going out and getting some. I pity the poor cadriver on those nights. These guys have no sense of satire. On the other hand, I watch 24 with a big dose of irony and I'm no threat to the Moslem world. To me it's right up there with the first season of THE SIMPLE LIFE - purely of it's time.
In this new season, Jack's gone off the grid. Bill and Chloe have a new pad with a fireplace, cool lighting and Old Navy turtlenecks. They are running the show with Tony being deep undercover. These post-modern puppet masters are now the only ones we can trust. Tony's beat up, mean and sexy as hell. The government is compromised and corrupt (surprise). Only the hipster agents know to what degree. Jack, is of course drawn in. Couldn't keep him away from this scene. And there's a new babe. You could literally see all the actors look sympathically at Jack's new budding love interest.(Don't worry she'll get hotter). They all know she'll be killed. All Jack's women are killed. That actress shouldn't take out a big mortgage.
My favorite 24 scene in the entire show is the time Jack had to get back undercover with a bunch badasses. He needed the cooperation of a scumbag/pedophile. When the guy was not forthcoming, Jack pulled out his gun and killed him. As the other agents gasped in horror, Jack calm knelt and grabbed the guy's hair. Holding up the dead sumbag/pedophile's lifeless head, he whispered to the camera, between clenched teeth. "Get me a saw." Now that's a man I can trust.

No comments: