Sunday, March 1, 2009

AS THE SNOW HAMMERS THE EASTERN MEGALOPOLIS......

......we once again ponder the real meaning of art. Is art what is shown in museums and galleries and such? Or is it something else? Or is it both? Because it's supposed to snow tomorrow I want to get a jump on all these issues. I find that snow days are good ones to crank up the Ker-o-sun on the porch and space out on constructing a 54X90 collage. At least that's my plan. Or I could never take off the coffee stained bathrobe, write songs and watch TV all day. Both sound good. But the one thing I won't be able to do is go out and work on WSSP. The roads will be unpassabl. And really, that's what I'd rather be doing. Especially since this past weekend, Shewho and I decided to collaborate on contextualizing this house as an artwork. Going to art is way better than going to work.
I rarely collaborate on pieces. Work like Purple Geezus and The Church of the Little Green Man are, of course, collaborations, but the static work...never. Shewho is the same. She rarely shares the decision making in her art. So a meeting of two rather uncooperative minds seems like a no brainer. WSSP will continue as a Shewho/Osti colab. This makes working out there way more interesting for me. The work is exactly the same. But the intent changes. It frees you up. It was already a sweet deal for me. Now it's even better. The upside down scowling Satan takes on a new look when presented as art. As Shewho, said "Without that horrible Satan, it would be purely bucolic." Exactly! Either way, I can now breathe easier under his evil gaze. It's already slated to be my CD cover for my new material- Love Thy Neighbor.
As this late winter snow storm bears down on the megalopolis, I feel positive....confident that the state of art is strong. It can withstand whatever comes it's way. My one student- Slick is not a good advertisement for my teaching skills. But, it does go to prove my original premise- that art cannot be taught. He got an F this semester. Now he's on Spring break in BA. We'll see if he comes back with some art. For me? I can feel the juices perking to the surface like a gurgling spring. Which, by the way, we are now going to develope as our water source for WSSP. The coming months promise to be busy and filled with the glow of the art making process. Just one more snow storm.....

No comments: