Monday, March 2, 2009

CONTEXTULIZATION

Rather than conceptual, I prefer contexual as prefix to my job title. In the most simplistic term I see this as creating a set of () around an event, action or object, redefining it. A gallery, showing the actual "art" of others can be objectified to the degree that the vessel of content does in fact become the content. An otherwise completely banal activity such as attending seminary can be set aside by a contextual artist and promoted as product. And in this most recent attempt, a house that was initially purchased for real estate speculation, transformed into art and sold in a less than complete state, is now being completed collaboratively by two artists, one of which will keep the object as domecile/sculpture. How can this be presented and not read as boring, pretentious or crassly capitalistic? It's all in the approach.
Lets go back 10 years. After purchasing a church and small house on a single piece of property in 1995, in 1998 I bought a one room school house just down the road. The church already was imbued with the previous ten years work on the Lower East Side, where I had established The Church of The Little Green Man. I wanted to do something institutionally similar with the school house. For one summer in 1999 I ran a program for graduate students from The San Francisco Art Institute called The Old School for Social Sculpture. It was a big success, never to be repeated. About 3 years ago, just before the real estate market collapse, I sold the property. Two years ago I put the profits from that sale into WSSP. I had no idea where this would lead me.
As it turned out I ended up showing this piece at Marianna's Apartment in June of '08. Within a couple of months Shewho had decided to buy the house. The property is frought with problems, ranging from iffy septic, to nasty neighbors and potable water. I knew if I sold this work to Shewho and was willing to bring it to completion, it would take a large commitment on both sides. We struck the deal, drawings were made, permits were issued and after deer season, work resumed. At this point I ceased thinking of it as art. I merely saw my work as part of the deal to get Shewho a nice house. Now that we have "re-contextualized" it proceeds in a new light. It is in this light we must now work and eventually present WSSP to you for final approval. Stay tuned.

No comments: